...that's not so man-ish anymore.
This quilt (#6 for me) began with a charm pack of batiks I received with a mug rug swap. They were ugly and I couldn't re gift them because I didn't want anyone to think I'd actually choose that charm pack. They sat around for a long time. I finally decided they would work into an ugly "man quilt".
So I got started on a design idea. I'm sure it was triggered by something I've seen somewhere. This was back last November.
Then the holidays came and other sewing commitments took over. Finally in April it surfaced again. And I found that I was actually enjoying sewing this quilt top. It didn't look as ugly as I thought it would. Probably because the ugly fabric pieces are only 2" square.
Soon it was ready to sandwich.
I love when a quilt top is ready to sandwich. The three layers together is when it changes from pieced fabric to a quilt. I love to hug it after pin basting it just to feel all my hard work as a "quilt". The design wasn't hard, but those corners of all the blocks match up really well because I worked hard to do my best to make sure they would all match up.
I moved along to my favorite straight line quilting.
I couldn't be more pleased with the way the quilting looks with this simple design.
I just can't imagine sending a quilt top out to be quilted. There is just no better feeling than sewing a quilt from start to finish.
Time for binding...
I wondered if I would ever bind a quilt with the same fabric as the design background rather than a contrasting piece. Sure enough, this one called for a binding that didn't frame the design.
And in the end, I love the quilt! It doesn't look strictly man-ish.
It's definitely non gender specific.
I still have lots of pieces of this "ugly" charm pack left over. Who knows what it'll turn into...we'll see.
Quilt #7 is on the wall and it's calling me to come play. It's a rather interesting concept that I'm having a fun time with, so off I go to play!