My personal Pillow A Month Challenge
One of my Flickr contacts, Krista Withers, lolablueocean, does a lot of free piecing and improv stitching. She created wonderful flowers that I immediately fell in love with. You can see her flowers and improv here .
I just had to make some for myself. I can't even imagine free piecing them, so I drew up a paper piecing pattern for mine.
I ran a test as a postcard before starting in on the pillow top.
I've mentioned before that my process of a creation is starting with an idea and from there, making it up as I go along. Very seldom do I start out with an entire plan.
It turned out that the piecing process I used to make the flowers allowed me to create a bit of a different look for each one. That was a fun surprise. The background for the flowers actually is free pieced and improv as well as some applique. Doing the background this way was a big challenge for me. This was my first time playing around with that. Some of the background fabrics I made myself (you can see how I made the fabrics here) and others are purchased fabrics.
I quilted with meandering straight line angles (for lack of a better description). I'm 50/50 on whether it's over quilted or not. I like it to look quilted but I do not like it when the quilting over powers the fabrics and design.
This pillow front sat for more than a week before I finally decided on the binding and the back. I'm very stingy with my text fabrics and didn't want to "waste" a big chunk on that back side. Feeling wild I decided to include the zipper as part of the design.
Me and my seam ripper became more than just good friends during this pillow creation, but I'm real happy with the way it turned out.
It's my fave so far!
Thanks Krista for your awesome inspirational improv!