Monday, March 14, 2022

Costume Maker’s Ball Wall Quilt

This was another gifted panel.  The designs by J. Wecker Frisch are quite unique and whimsical and they all make me smile.  This is the panel as it can be purchased.

I cut apart the images.  I dug into my stash to see what I had in the way of black and white checks.  There were more than I thought and I decided they didn’t all need to be white.  There is even a harlequin print in the mix.  

And then the evils of a panel came to life.  One reason I am not a big fan of panels is that they never seem to be printed or woven straight.  Or maybe that’s just my luck.  Then I added insult to injury choosing to frame each image with the checks.  I liked them...even without sashing.

But sashing won out.  It bothered me all during the making that the quilt might turn wonky and prove to be undisguiseable or unforgiving.  I kept along with it anyway...hoping...

This panel was really fun to work on despite its challenges.

Binding choice was easy.  No surprise here, right?!

I had to include the words that ran alongside the panel.  

I can’t believe that I forgot to work the selvedge into the quilt design!  How fun is that selvedge!

This wall quilt is quite large, measuring 51” X 30”.

Ta-Da!  All done.  If you don’t look too close, the wonk isn’t too noticeable.
(At the time of the photo, I hadn’t yet gotten a dowel for hanging)

Did you notice the panel has a sewing theme?

On to the next project...........

Monday, March 7, 2022


I was gifted four very fun fabric panels.  Now that the sewing bug has bit me again, I began with this sweet bunting panel.  (It is actually a panel and a half).  I’m sure these triangular shaped prints can be made into many things, I wanted buntings.

The panel is a Riley Blake Design by J. Wrecker Frisch, Joy Studio

I cut the pieces apart with some almost-as-old-as-me pinking shears.  Then I stitched the pieces to batting and a backing and then trimmed the backing. As I began sewing the first piece, I realized that pins were not helpful.

You could make a very long bunting with these pieces. I chose to make 3 separate buntings.

Next I chose some button options to embellish the pieces.

I connected the pieces to a length of striped fabric.  Machine stitching the front and hand sewing the strip to the backs (like binding)


I added buttons by tying them with Perle Cotton threads.
(My ball spools say “Coton Perle”)

The first finished bunting hangs here on my half wall.

It makes me happy to see it there.  

I pinned sewing themed charms between the pieces using safety gourd pins.

This first bunting is for a special friend.  The second one now hanging on my half wall is for me.
It makes my happy space feel even happier.

My buntings measure 80” in length.

To catch up with my calendar journals, here is January and February.

We get closer and closer to Spring!  That too makes me happy.