Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tutorial: Fun Stripe Border

I have been having the best fun with this stripe border.


And I want to show you how I make it.
You guessed it...paper piecing!


I just cannot get anything like this straight or uniform in size by cutting the pieces and sewing them together.  Paper piecing comes to mind as a solution for the simple fact that paper will not stretch.
If you've had trouble with my ice cream cone tutorial, this one may just clear up some of your confusion, as this is the exact same technique and process but on a very basic level.

I know this is a lengthy tutorial, but I don't plan on any more paper piecing tuts. If you can't figure it out now, then you must pay my travel expenses to come to you for hands on personal training. LOL
















These next photos just continue to walk with you through the continued process.  After the first block of white, I work with the entire fabric strip to cut waste and not worry about whether my fabric piece is long enough to work with.













When your strip is complete, you can trim the long edges to have a 1/4" seam allowance ready to sew to your project. 

Have fun and I want to see your borders,
Annie

6 comments:

carol said...

Okay, what is the air fare from there to here anyway? I think I get this, but really not sure. I do love that fabric with the white though. Really cool!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Grest tute!! I lovr to paper piece! and I love yout mug rug, what a great idea to use it as a iron pad!!

Sparky said...

ps. LOVE the ironing pad....I thought for sure I added a comment here..
about getting you to come and visit me too lol
What happened to my disappearing post lol. well this tut...FABULOUS and I know ...as I can see it up close wink..x

Sparky said...

ps. again..the iron pad would be a great you know project wink

Cindy Sharp said...

Very cool idea. It almost looks like cells on a strip of film.

NancySTL said...

I love this border and will be trying this in my next quilt, which I already planned to use a stripe. To me, stripes are the ultimate cheater fabric. I recently bought several rolls of adding machine paper at a thrift store and they will be perfect for paper piecing this border. Thanks for the tutorial.