Sunday, April 26, 2015

Fabric Doodle Postcard

The Sunday Postcard Art challenge this week is Doodle
 (on your postcard).

Well, that fit right into my current passion for playing with my fabric scraps.  I'm not sure my Doodling with fabric and thread fits into the challenge, but I think it does.  Why not?

This postcard brings to mind the circus.  And I love a circus. 

The postcard back...

I loved playing with this fun theme this week.  Thank you Sunday Postcard Art. 


Thursday, April 9, 2015

Wild Orange Keeper

I have to keep some info with me at all times and it has been cluttering up my little purse.  I don't need it that close, just within access if needed on the spot.  I decided it was time to make a "Keeper" for this info.
I have been looking at my scrap boxes and wondering why I don't throw them out.  To me scraps are small pieces and strips of fabric.  I've been wanting to make new yardage with them, but then think, what then?  So they sit.  Now I've thought of a "what then" project.

My Wild Orange Keeper

From Instagram I've already had a request to share my process in its making, so here is how it came about...
I got out my orange scrap box and also my box of previously fused graphic bits that have been rejected for use for one reason or another.  At this point I am totally excited to be using some of both!
Some of the graphic pieces are from Lisa'a Altered Art and many are printed on Magic Fabic
I got out my scraps of batting.  Decided on a finished size for my keeper.  I wanted to be able to tuck in a quarter folded sheet of paper plus a bit more.  Then I cut off the flap corners.
I decided on a lining fabric and cut it to size.

Next I pulled scraps of orange then went looking for a couple of pieces of black for pop and layed them on top of the batting.  And then chose a few previously fused graphic pieces to add interest.  At this point you have to be mindful that the graphic pieces will all be right side up when the Keeper is sewn together.  So you'll notice that my flower and group of girls photo in the center section are upside down.

I removed my "shaped" graphic pieces to add on "after" my wild orange base is quilted.  Everything got quilted as raw edge

I mostly just pressed the whole thing with my iron before sewing the pieces down.  I did however, glue stick lightly a few key pieces that would hold the surrounding pieces in place. 

After the base quilting, I fused on the shaped graphics and appliqued them in place.

**What do you know, I actually fused the pieces going in the right direction.** 

Next I got my binding ready and stitched it across the bottom that gets folded up.

Looky there.  When I stitched the quilting, I should have used a yellow bobbin thread.  Ah well, it adds some interest...I suppose.

Next I stitched the binding to the sides and top. 

I was being hap-hazard and it looks horrid.  But I still shrugged my shoulders.  

I intended to sew on velcro.  But I forgot to do that before stitching the binding to the sides.  So I added a large snap instead.

The backside.

Look at this mess.  It's so crooked (but I managed to take a photo where you couldn't really tell how crooked it looks) and the binding just looks horrid!

I LOVE how the fabric scraps and graphics all turned out.  But I couldn't live with the mess I made.  I had to fix it.  I took the binding off, straightened the base piece, then used a narrower binding AND now I can live with it.  :-)

I liked the way my binding dots landed the first time around better.  But at least now I have a Keeper that I love looking at and it doesn't send my mind reeling about bad binding and crooked-ness.

I'm a happy camper with a right side up flower on the backside.  This was quick and fun to make.  Just the right distraction I needed from my current project.
Wishing you a wild orange kind of happy day!

Monday, April 6, 2015

House #6

The Tag It On challenge theme this time is 
A Rainbow of Colours

Hooray, another using of my Neocolors II.  (for coloring the house)
I hate when supplies are expensive then they just sit there staring at me, daring me to try and figure out how to use them.  

The number and words are stamped with Ranger Distress Inks.

And the back...

I'll bet you thought some sweet little old lady lived there.  :-)

Happy Tagging,