Saturday, July 15, 2017

Color Burst Butterfly


It seems that if I haven't worked a piece to death, it isn't going to make me happy.  This 4.25" X 5.5" piece began as a card front with a background stamp of lines crisscrossing.  Then I painted over them with a yellow Neocolor crayon.  I liked the start and it sat waiting for what should be next.

The next came when I thought I'd like a Color Burst butterfly stamped on.  I put some Merlot color burst powder on a plastic surface, spritzed with water, then set my butterfly rubber stamp in the puddle, lightly dabbed some water off on a newsprint pad then stamped on my piece.  I liked it well enough until I decided to add some illegible writing.  I stamped that on and immediately was sorry.  It hit the trash right away.  Later I removed it from the trash to try and fix and save it.


I'm not a big fan of gesso, but I thought that might lighten everything and help.  Too light.  I also don't like the way gesso feels and I don't like putting a clear protective finish over it.  I took an emery board and ran it across the whole thing.  Better.  I can live it.  After that I got out the Yellow Ochre color burst and painted what you see now.  That I like very much now.  For some reason I like the sloppy look of it.

I thought I'd stamp words of somekind on it for a card, but I can't seem to decide what kind of card.  Then I decided I really love it and want to keep it.  Maybe I should start an art journal for these small pieces that surprise me.

But here's the thing.  I only am pretending to be an artist.  So I can't decide whether it is finished or not.  Whether it needs something more or not.  I'm also afraid to mess it up again.  What do you think?  Any advice?


When I look at these photos, I don't see anything special.  But when I look at the real piece, I still love it.  That is confusing.   

13 comments:

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

I love it Annie and well done you for rescuing it from the bin too! Have you got any Tim Holtz sticker sentiments? I think one of those would work really well on this and it be less risky than stamping on it too ;)
Hugs
Donna xx

Ruth said...

I love your card and thank you for sharing your process. What's this about "pretending to be an artist"? You are an artist!!!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

It really looks nice Annie! If it were mine, I might add something in the upper right area in a dark purple or dark blue or dark green. A word or phrase or maybe a some thin grass blades that starts in the lower right and swoops in toward the middle. You don't want something to compete with your butterfly, just enhance it.

folksmith said...

It's beautiful. Think i like it just way it is.

Carol Swift said...

What do you mean you're not an artist! You do so many creative projects that I can even wrap my head around. The butterfly is so beautiful as is, but it looks like you have room in the right corner to add a message if you decide to share it with someone.

Sandy said...

I am so glad you decided to save this! Very creative and quite attractive!!!!
Sandy xx

Carol said...

You are an artist!!! I like it with the black border. Whatever you do to it will be fine, be sure to show us!

Tera Callihan said...

You most certainly are an artist! Also I like the card! You went through way more than I would have to save it. Normally if I don't like it, it instantly is trashed and stays there or it goes to the pile of no returns where I intend on doing something with it but rarely ever do. I think having an art Journal is fun it would be a cool way for you to flip through to see different ideas and remember fun stories like this one

jenclair said...

I love it! Again. I know I say this over and over, but it remains true!

sheila 77 said...

"I like the sloppy look of it" - is this Annie speaking or has someone taken over your blog? Hahaha! I loved what you did before and am loving what you are doing now. Great story, including rescuing it from the trash, and sanding off the gesso. If it looks great to you, then leave it. I like how the butterfly looks with the splashy stamping and the lines and writing and everything. Keep "pretending" to be an artist, I love it.

tink's mom said...

I personally think it needs a frame. I love it just the way it is.

Dortesjs said...

I love it, the soft colours and the writing in the back.

quiltingbydawn said...

Love it and all you do! Give yourself credit...YOU ARE AN ARTIST!