Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Abstract Bird Art

My painting is for the birds lately...literally.



I found a tutorial on how to paint an abstract bird on Pinterest.

I received a very nice gift of Prima Marketing watercolors for my birthday.  This set is Essence.  I wanted to give them a real try.



And here is my result.  Although I struggle to work correctly with watercolors, I am pretty pleased with my fuzzy bird result.  I used Vermilion Neocolor II crayon for his bright color beak and legs.  White and black acrylic paint for his eye and spots.



I left him this way for several days not knowing what to do with him until I was inspired to give him some ground to stand on.  Again I’m surprised to be pleased with this painting.  There is a strip of Washi tape at the top of the painted ground.



But my journal page remains like this as I don’t know what else to do for his background.
But I loved trying to paint him and wanted to do another.  This next one is a postcard size.  I added a defined wing with a portion of a flourish rubber stamp.



Still fun, so another postcard size.  I’ll decide what to add for greeting when I decide where he goes.



And then I thought I wanted a tag size bird.  With very long legs.  And I drew his wing.  That was brave of me!  This tag bird’s body was painted with Neocolor II crayons.  I found a YouTube tutorial on how to use the crayons like watercolors.



I outlined these smaller birds as they felt like they needed it.  After I do that I question whether they need it or not.  I still don’t know.

I used some gold watercolor paint to give their wings a bit of glitz.



I have had the best time painting abstract birds.  

Tweet, Tweet!

20 comments:

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Oh....thanks for sharing all your birds......love them!!!

Cheryll said...

AnD they are all gorgeous...love them...
Well done & keep on enjoying the use of water colours...xox

My name is Erika. said...

Annie these birds are amazing. And cute too. I think you received a great birthday gift!

Ruth said...

I love, love, love your birds. I like their shapes and their facial features and I especially like the way you did the ground you gave them to stand on. I'm enjoying how much fun you are having.

BumbleVee said...

love the birds you painted....

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, Annie, your birds have flown straight into my heart, they're FABULOUS! Keep going with your water colours, you have such talent! Hugs, Valerie

Vicki in MN said...

I am not a painter, but sure wish I could do it, so I enjoyed seeing all your birds. Nice work, they look so whimsical.

jenclair said...

I love them all! So much fun!

folksmith said...

Can't decide which one is the cutest, they all are. They are all so cheery.

works4me said...

Your flock of birds is so cute and fun. Nicely done.

Patti said...

As one who cannot draw a stick figure, I marvel at ALL you work!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute bird paintings!!

Snoodles said...

I don’t “do” twitter but I love your tweets!! Cute birdies!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This post really IS for the birds. I absolutely adore your watercolor abstract birds. They are fun and funky. Colorful and cute. Congrats on the wonderful watercolor set you got for your birthday. You have put them to great use, dear.

Lin said...

They are lovely! I need to have a go at this..... xx

Carol Swift said...

Oh my gosh, I'm in love with these birds! They have such a fun look to them...playful, funky, cute, and beautiful all in one. Wow!

sheila 77 said...

These birds are just fabulous, fun birds. I like the trailblazer, the first one, the blue one. I like that you gave him lots of friends and a solid piece of ground to stand on, ground which includes washi tape -another of your great washi tape ideas. Next, the vivid green one has lovely feet and a small fence to keep in the worms. I love his blue tail and the writing in the wall. I think he is a young bird, he looks as if he is curious about this new world.
Then next, an elderly pink one and you’ve given him comfortable grass to stand on, beautifully painted grass too.
I love the tag too with the interesting background and Miss Orange Longlegs.
To outline or not outline? - always a question as once done it cannot be undone. Maybe either could be good.
These watercolour birds are wonderful, I love each one.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your birds! They are fantastic! Wish I could create something like that in fabric! Great job!

Deb M said...

Oh my gosh, your birds are amazing!!! Love them!!

Tera Callihan said...

<3 Love all of these so much!!!! You totally rocked these! (although I must say my favorite is the one you sent me <3 <3 )