This is only my 4th "large" quilt. 45" X 76" It's just a simple whole cloth that I added borders to.
It's Dad's Christmas present. He always likes the whole cloth backs of my quilts better than the pieced fronts. I'm not sure how to take that. In any case, this old house is cold and he's elderly and he uses quilts a lot! He's worn out the ones my mother has made for him.
A length of fabric isn't wide enough so I add borders on the front and back. You know, those borders are NOT the easiest thing to line up when you sandwich the layers!...and they HAVE to be lined up. I do my own quilting with my Bernina 1230...it only has a 7" throat...not the easiest thing to do, but the most affordable, so it's straight line quilted in one continuous line. Meaning I didn't sew from edge to edge and cut threads. I stitched a continuous line from side to side from one end to the other in only the quilt center section. That meant that when I was close to either end the entire quilt had to be inside the machine throat...yep, I'll be trying to avoid that situation in the future!
I haven't decided whether I made the right choice for the binding or not. A solid might have looked better. I hardly ever think to consider solids...there are SO many prints and I love them all so! Dad is going to say it has clown stuff all around it...I'll just betcha he does.
And then there's that perfectionist illness I am afflicted with. I couldn't just piece my bindings end to end.....those stripes HAD to match!
When you line those up 6 or so times, it gets easier as you go along. I think I done good...only ripped out one for a redo.
So, one name crossed off the Christmas list as done...YES!
The quilt top fabric is Williamsburg Fok Art Village by Windham Fabrics Pattern No.31910 (according to the selvage).
Thanks for stopping by,