Sunday, January 17, 2016

Small Creations

This month's challenge at A Monthly Challenge is to think small.  Our little creations are not to be larger than 4"x4".  That's a fun size to play with.  I made coin envelopes.  They measure 4"X3".




The one on the left is made with a scrapbook paper then decorated with torn tracing paper and a bit /of Washi tape.  The one on the right is made with a craft paper and decorated with Washi tapes.

Reverse sides




They are such fun little envelopes to make.

Recently I found a new blog to check in on called The Lost Art of Letter Writing...Revived.  In November Pemela had challenged her readers to make an Autumn Matchbox.  After reading a few of Pam's posts, I felt strongly compelled to write a letter to her.  That must mean her blog is working.  It can't just be that I like mail art.  I didn't want to make a matchbox and I certainly didn't want to deal with mail it to arrive not crushed.  So I made little envelopes for her in the theme of postal/letter writing.  



I put the two tiny envelopes inside the coin envelope.  The smallest envelope measures 1-7/8" X 1-1/4".  Pretty tiny and so adorable.  I also made her card using a Jane Austen library card and a clip art of a writer with a fun ink well hat with her quills handy and note paper streamers.  



Then I wrote the letter.  While working on the envelopes and card, I kept wondering what to write to someone I don't know.  Well, surprisingly, I didn't have any problem finding some words to write.  With email so handy and instant these days, I don't have any "real" stationery on hand.  So I took sheets from note pads and just kept Washi taping them together.  This was a really fun project.




NOTE:
The library card is from a boxed set I found at Barnes & Noble.  They are copies of real library cards from the Library of Congress.

xxx
Annie

20 comments:

sheila 77 said...

Oh my, you have been having arty fun. I want to come over and play at making tiny envelopes.
The coin envelopes are so adorable, I especially like the one on the left with the fancy stripes and the torn lady, it all goes together.
These would be great to put a little birthday cheque in, so pretty, or even a tiny card. Wahey!
And then all the tiny envelopes, the tiny, tiny ones are indeed adorable with all the writing fun.
Washi-taping notepads together - hahahaha! - such a very modern idea, the sort of thing an artistic teenager would do, brilliant out-of-the -box thinking, Annie.
What a great blogpost.

Barb said...

Your coin envelopes are adorable.

Turid said...

I've said it before; You're a true artist. Love what you show us, impossible for me to understand how you can get it like this. Have fun!

Paula Whittaker said...

Those coin pockets are stunning...really inspiring!
Thank you so much for linking your super creations with me over on the "A Monthly Challenge".

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

So many visual lovelies! How nice to write a real letter. I love all those envelopes and your last envelope is perfect to mail it all in.

tink's mom said...

Love your tiny envelopes. Thanks for the explanation regarding the library card. While I love what you did with it I was feeling badly that you could do that to the original.

Judy D in WA said...

OMGoodness! What a fabulous mail! You, my friend, are so darn creative! I just love it.

Cynthia said...

That looks so fun! Letterwriting seriously is a lost art! Good for you for your having a little revival! :)

Tera Callihan said...

Check out all that lovelyness! I will have to check out this new blog too! I'm sure she will be thrilled with your lovely mail! And how cool are those library cards!

Snoodles said...

Wow! I know she is going to be bowled over by the letter and the goodies!

Renee said...

Wonderful

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Well you never cease to amaze me with the whole range of your artiness but you've excelled yourself this time Annie! LOVE everything you've made here and I love that you're on a mission to bring back letters.....so much more civilised then a boring old email ;)
Hugs
Donna xxx

Createology said...

Annie you are perfect for reviving the almost lost ART of letter writing. I adore every thoughtful envelope and card you created. How fun to washi tape together different stationary papers for writing your letter. I shall be checking out this site. Currently I am still doing Random Acts of Mail (RAOM) each week and Love Notes which is sending a postcard each week for three weeks and only four times a year. Of course in April I will be doing National Letter Writing again. I really enjoy receiving mail as well as well as sending it. Creative Letter Writing Bliss...

Deb said...

Firstly, love your little coin envelopes, so much creativity in such a small package! And speaking of creativity, love your amazing letter and that too fabulous for words library card on the envelope within the envelope! Your art is so inspiring, thanks for sharing everything Annie. Deb xo

Evergreen Mo said...

Great post. The little envelopes are amazing, you have packed so much detail into them. The letter is the work of an art genius. Super idea to use washi tape to hold together. I am in awe Thanks for sharing all this

abby j said...

Love your coin envelopes...unique and very pretty. You've been very busy...all good!! :)

Sandy said...

You are amazing and as I told you 1.000 times - your printing is a work of art as well as your calendars! I can only dream!
sandy xx

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your beautiful letter! I have posted it on my blog....gosh, I'm still gushing!

Miss Iowa said...

You are on FIRE!! What a wonderful piece of mail art.

Anonymous said...

I scrolled a little bit. SCHÖN bei DIR! P.