Thursday, December 16, 2021

Paper Pieced Trees Quilt

Oh but I CAN see the forest for the trees!



I’ve wanted to make a little forest of trees for some time now.  Checking that off my list.  And it is a ‘little’ forest.  



When all sewn together, each tree block measures just about 3.25” X 2.25”.
I wanted a selvedge border so I dug around in my selvedges tote for neutral selvedges.



Then the little wallhanging stalled while I figured out how to stitch the selvedges for an inner border.  Of course I eventually figured it out.


Simple in the ditch quilting.



It was finally finished.  I’m SO pleased.



I tried out a couple of tree sizes before deciding.  The tiniest one turned into a cutie pie of a pincushion.
The block was SO TINY it didn’t look fun to sew so I added a bit of a border.  It was still so little.  But so cute.



I now have a very small collection of four little pinnies in my pinnie jar.

   

I actually use the skeleton one so it doesn’t really live in the jar.



I like that the little trees quilt can be hung for me to enjoy at any time of the year.  Right now it might be a Christmas tree farm.  Later a forest.

20 comments:

Ramona said...

What fun to add the selvage edges for a border! It adds so much to this already cute quilt. And your tiny pincushion is adorable.

sirkkis said...

So creative and cute 👍♥️

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Love the tree quilt and pincushion too!

Ramona said...

Great idea to use the selvages in the border. I would have never thought of that! Merry Christmas!

Mary C said...

Really cute!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Oh Annie....I love everything about this little quilt!! The trees....the selvedges...the background fabrics....the quilting....the binding! You have to just LOVE looking at it!

Turid said...

So lovely. At first sight I thought they were Christmas cards. And that mini pincushion is darling. I have to make me one of those when I come back to my sewing machine in January.

sheila 77 said...

Without any exaggeration at all this is the best quilt I've seen. It's a terrific minimalist design, beautifully stitched and you've chosen the best of fabrics. It has a lovely atmosphere of peace and stillness as you would sense walking through a quiet forest.
The little pin cushion is also the best pin cushion ever, it's a darling.
It's a super styled photo with the pins patiently waiting.
Thanks a lot for the step-by-step photos and especially the pattern.
I know what my next imminent textile piece is going to be.

Lin said...

Cute trees and your use of the selvedeges as a border is great. What a lovely little finish. Gorgeous little pincushion too. xx

Vicki in MN said...

Oh those are the cutest trees, they remind me of some very small evergreens that are growing in the neighbors yard.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE those tiny trees and your brilliant use of selvages for the border!!!

Snoodles said...

Such cute trees! “Almost I am persuaded” to try paper piecing again!! Welllllll, no. No need to voluntarily increase my own stress level. Lol
But you do great work!!!

pinky said...

Oh wow your projects are absolutely beautiful Annie! You have such an eye for colour and arrangement. So gorgeous!!

jenclair said...

Don't know which I love more, the quilt or the pincushion! You have such a talent for making simplicity into serene elegance!

Createology said...

Annie isn’t it wonderful when we actually make something for ourselves that we have been dreaming of?! Your Tree quilt is lovely and will work for any day of the year…I.e. Earth Day, Plant a Tree. Love the teeny tiny tree pinkie too. Merry Christmas and a very Safe and Healthy New Year in 2022.

Ivani said...

Lovely pine florest. Someday I will make one!
Merry Christmas!!

tink's mom said...

Love your little forest. Great idea using the selvedges for the inner border.

Tera Callihan said...

Oh wow this is so cute! That would make an awesome bed quilt too, if sized up!!!♡♡♡ of course the cute little pin cushions are also adorable! (Perfect barbie pillows too haha).

Ina G said...

Oh Annie I love love love this darling wee quilt. It's an all year rounder for sure. My sister was a quilter and I loved getting special gifts from her. How I miss it. What I have I treasure with all my heart.

Anonymous said...

It's the perfect forest !! I love everything about this , Annie !