Monday, March 14, 2022

Costume Maker’s Ball Wall Quilt

This was another gifted panel.  The designs by J. Wecker Frisch are quite unique and whimsical and they all make me smile.  This is the panel as it can be purchased.



I cut apart the images.  I dug into my stash to see what I had in the way of black and white checks.  There were more than I thought and I decided they didn’t all need to be white.  There is even a harlequin print in the mix.  

And then the evils of a panel came to life.  One reason I am not a big fan of panels is that they never seem to be printed or woven straight.  Or maybe that’s just my luck.  Then I added insult to injury choosing to frame each image with the checks.  I liked them...even without sashing.



But sashing won out.  It bothered me all during the making that the quilt might turn wonky and prove to be undisguiseable or unforgiving.  I kept along with it anyway...hoping...



This panel was really fun to work on despite its challenges.



Binding choice was easy.  No surprise here, right?!



I had to include the words that ran alongside the panel.  



I can’t believe that I forgot to work the selvedge into the quilt design!  How fun is that selvedge!



This wall quilt is quite large, measuring 51” X 30”.

Ta-Da!  All done.  If you don’t look too close, the wonk isn’t too noticeable.
(At the time of the photo, I hadn’t yet gotten a dowel for hanging)


Did you notice the panel has a sewing theme?

On to the next project...........

20 comments:

sirkkis said...

I love these creative art pieces!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Absolutey fabulous, a wonderful piece of stitched art! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

That is so darling the way you sewed it Annie with the added fabrics and the perfect print/color choice too. Oh yes the selvage is cute with those cats! I think those panels are all printed a bit off, I cut them apart with scissors and not a rotary cutter because they tend to be off a bit. But once it's all together and quilted, they look fine. I love that fabric designer too. Such fun prints.

jenclair said...

What fun! Perfect for my favorite holiday. :) Love the selvedge!

Ramona said...

You really brought this panel to life! I love how you framed each section with black and white and I don't see any wonkiness at all. Great finish!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is amazing. I am in awe. I know nothing about sewing a quilt, but i sure like that panel. Someone gave you a real gem in that fabric. I oticed the sewing theme right off the bat. I loved the raven that neither quilts nor reaps. Such a lovely quilt in the end.

sheila 77 said...

It's amazing how you have transformed the panel into a great work of quilt art. The way you have added the sashing is tremendous - I wouldn't have thought there was enough room at the sides of the pictures to make a decent seam. Excellent choice of the plain and checked fabric too and you have sewn the checks perfectly in line and I've no idea how you managed that. I see the rook is keeping well clear of the baby, rooks are clever birds. The selvedge title is the perfect finishing touch. It's another Annie masterpiece.

Tera Callihan said...

Oooooooooooh!!!! Wow! This is absolutely fantastic!! I don't see any wonk. Definitely freaking awesome 🧡🧡🧡that salvage is cool, and you can add it into another project for sure♡ I love your work

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love what you did with this panel! You are so creative. It looks perfectly square too. Great job!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up this "little" wall hanging! FYI... It doesn't appear to be wonky, at all.

quiltingbydawn said...

Oh Annie, this is so cute! I love how you framed each block and used orange as the background. The stripes black and white binding…no surprise there! Well done!

Vicki in MN said...

I just had to check out your panel because you know I love working with them! I think you did a fantastic job!! I have some embroidered snowmen that I am going to put together into a wall hanging and will do something similar to what you did.

Ruth said...

Your wall quilt is wonderful. I'm glad that you didn't let the printed wonkiness keep you from using the panel. Sometimes precision gets in the way of artistic significance. Your checkered and orange frames around each motif are a perfect choice.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I am with you on panels - I get stressed when they don't line up! but you did a great job, it all looks just right! xx

Renee said...

so remarkable and beautiful! What a delight to look at.

Lin said...

Haha, no surprise with the binding! Isn't that fun. I love it. Framing with those checks and then the orange sashing works perfectly and what I would have passed up as a panel has become a brilliant quilt. Congratulations. xx

pinky said...

Annie you are one talented lady!! This is absolutely beautiful and your attention to the stitching is amazing!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Another amazing print and yes that salvage is just as amazing. I can feel the joy you had putting this together, i'm so glad you said it was large as I can really see the magnificence of this hanging on the wall. A piece for all year not just for Autumn.
I hope you are well and creating lots of soft fabricy things. Hugs TRacey xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Very nice stitched art ... well done.

All the best Jan

Carol Swift said...

I love what you did with this panel...awesome! J. Wecker Frisch's artwork is always unique and fun. I struggle with panels for the same reasons you mentioned. They seem to always be wonky.