Monday, May 16, 2022

A Table Quilt

The leftover blocks from my grandson’s quilt became my first table quilt.
I was lazy with the math figuring but that turned out to be a happy okay.
I laid out the blocks to allow for sashing to help get it to the size I need.



I then cut sashing pieces to sew between the blocks.



I then measured and cut incorrectly for the outside border.  But that was good because I like the additional red border.  Time to get it quilted.



The red outside border mean’t that I could use up some more scraps by making a scrappy binding from the black and white fabrics.

(Chain piecing the binding)


This is NOT a table quilt that I would have chosen to make and it’s rather an odd duck color choice as well.  But as an everyday table protection, it works.  I only cover the table when we use it for a meal anyway.



To make this table quilt reversible, I used a green print with gold metallic splatters that can be used at Christmas time or St. Patrick’s Day.

                   

Now I’m looking forward to making more table quilts.

April went along like so...




13 comments:

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

The table runner looks great on your table! That pop of red really adds to it. Good for you for backing it with something that can be reversed for other holidays or just a change.

craftytrog said...

Your table quilt is beautiful Annie!

Tera Callihan said...

Fantastic table quilt. I love that you made it reversible!! Can't wait to see more of these♡

Ramona said...

What a fun table cover! I just love the pops of red with all of the black and white fabrics. Great finish!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I would call that a happy accident, Paulette. LOVE your table quilt and I'm SEW impressed that it fits perfectly!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Whoops!! My apologies for calling you by the wrong name. That's what I get for trying to multitask during a meeting!

Patti A. said...

Glad to see you are sewing!!!

Lin said...

Great use of your leftovers and what a good idea to make it reversible. Looks stunning. xx

Anonymous said...

Annie, what a great idea that table quilt is! I like that it just fits the top! I have made regular table runners and place mats but I like the idea that it fits the top without a drape over the edge like a standard tablecloth. Great use of left over pieces! Always enjoy seeing (and readingšŸ˜‰) your monthly calendar!

Anonymous said...

Sorry that my last comment came up anonymous. Having trouble with blogger/google.

Anonymous said...

This is Dawn.

Anonymous said...

Love the red lines! Great use of scraps- Renee

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I absolutely adore that table quilt. It is beautiful and even prettier than the quilt you made your grandson.

Always love seeing your calendar, too, Annie.