Friday, August 5, 2022

Abandoned2 Quilt

I could not resist this Tim Holtz, Eclectic Elements Abandoned2 fat quarter bundle.  As soon as it arrived I prewashed the fabrics and began cutting into it and sewing.



To really get the fabrics all mixed together I decided on the Economy Block for this quilt.  I staggered the blocks slightly.



Of course I needed some of the selvedge included in the quilt design.



The quilt measures 57” X 68”


I just love all the colors and the grunge.


The back and the binding are the same fabric.


I did not want a border, but I needed a border or I would loose all the points of the economy blocks around the edges when I added the binding.  I sewed a scrappy border of many of the prints.  I cut strips 1.25” wide.  After the quilting was finished, I trimmed the quilt so that the borders were 5/8”.  That left a thin 1/4” border before the 3/8” binding.  I really like the look of it.  I will definitely do this again and probably again and again....


It was somewhat frustrating and disappointing working with this bundle.  When there is text on a print, it seems to be a crap shoot whether they will be printed straight on the fabrics.  Most of these were wonky.  Some more so than others.  I could have trimmed the pieces to be straight but I would have lost a lot of useable fabric that I needed (and paid for).  All together they make a pretty busy quilt and are hopefully just not that noticeable.



My July 2022 calendar journal.


4 comments:

sirkkis said...

What the fabulous guilt πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘ unbelievable lot of sewing. The design is very beautiful πŸ’šπŸŽ¨
Very nice calendar as well 🀩

Lin said...

It's a great quilt Annie. Annoying when text isn't printed straight though I agree. xx

Ramona said...

As I look at your beautiful quilt, I'm thinking of different landscapes... a stormy sea, fall leaves on a foggy day, a moon lit sky and then there are bits of sunshine popping through. I love how all of the fabrics play together and make this quilt so beautiful. Great finish!

Anonymous said...

Sherry of createology: WOW! This is wonderful T!m Holtz fabric. The colors and grunge work so well together. Your delightful quilt is perfect and can be used for so many occasions. Excellent design dear.