Friday, January 6, 2023

Scrappy Nine Patch Quilt

After working with the guild challenge scrap bags, I was ready to clean out my own scrap bin. My bin is not large but it has gotten quite stuffed.


I cut a lot of the scraps into 3.5” squares.  As I was laying out the pieces, it seemed that mostly brighter colors were what looked best.  I stitched together nine patch blocks with a black square in each center.



I have had this rainbow stripe fabric in my stash for years and years.  I think it was a good choice for the binding on this scrappy quilt.  And I am so thrilled to have finally used “most” of it.


It turns out to be a nice throw size quilt at 52” X 64”.


As I’ve never been much of a fan of scrap quilts, this was an adventure outside my comfort zone. But I’m rather pleased with the results.  



Now I have the darker fabric cut squares to deal with.  Yes, there is a plan developing.
How nice it is to have a not-so-stuffed scrap bin too!

10 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't commented in forever Annie, but I wanted to tell you how gorgeous your quilt is. hugs-Erika

sirkkis said...

WOW, Annie, yore guilt is really awesome. I love the beautiful colors of them and your talent is amazing.
Happy inspiring year 2023 😘

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, Annie, this is totally fabulous, !I've it. Hugs, Valerie

Lin said...

Very nice use of all your scraps and those black squares stop it looking too messy. Great finish. xx

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wow! It is beautiful! The solid squares pulls it together.

Sherrill said...

Ooo, I LOVE the quilt and that binding is perfect. I've been making a couple of what I plan
to be donation quilts and am using 3 1/2" strips and always have leftover pieces. This would be a great way to use those AND make another donation quilt!! Thanks for a great idea! Now just to get around to it!

Createology said...

Hi Annie. This quilt may be out of your comfort zone but you have created a very lovely lively quilt. The rainbow binding is perfect. We have very cold and grey days here with lots of rain. My mojo needs some sunshine.

pinky said...

Oh wow Annie that is absolutely STUNNING! I love the little strip running round the border. Just beautiful.

celia ambrose said...

Love the random scrappy squares! And, that binding is just perfect. I think I've got enough scraps to do something similar, Thanks for sharing it.

Annie said...

Thank you Celia! Have fun with your scraps turning them into a quilt!