Sunday, August 23, 2020

The Purple Quilt

A purple quilt for a daughter-in-law that loves the color purple.


I don’t know if there is an official name for this quilt.  It begins as a disappearing 9 patch.


Then sashing is added between all the blocks.


So I call it a “floating” disappearing 9 patch.  It turns out the fabric I chose for the sashing/background is variegated or ombre, so not the best choice for a “floating” look.  


I had most of this quilt’s pieces cut 2 years ago, waiting to get sewn.


A couple of tools that I cannot live without in my sewing space.  The first one is old...the chalk liner.


This plastic steam roller (as I call it) is new for me.  But we became bestest friends right from the start.  It flattens seams better than an iron!  However have I sewn for so many years without this simple tool?!




What a great feeling to get purchases out of the drawers and under the needle and to completion.  All that is left is to pack it up and send it to a new home.
Finished size is 77.5”x62”



I continue to work on more of those projects that are sitting in the drawers waiting their turn to come out and be something.

11 comments:

Kathy E. said...

Oh, your DIL will love receiving this purple quilt from you! As a purple lover myself, you did a fabulous job! The fabrics give all those warm, fuzzy mmmm feels.

jenclair said...

Looks great--and it is getting closer to the time of year when a quilt is the feeling of home and comfort! I know a lot of people who love purple and would adore this quilt. :)

Tera Callihan said...

Look at you getting some more stuff done! I'm sure your daughter-in-law will love this! Purple is my least favorite color oh, but I can definitely appreciate the beauty in this! Another awesome project♡

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Beautiful!

Snoodles said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That is stunning! Love all the blocks and the sashing is just perfect, my friend. Gorgeous finish. I can't stop looking at it, and I'm not all that partial to purple! I know she will adore it!

Lin said...

She is going to be delighted! It's beautiful - and I love purple too so am probably biased but even so. Lovely finish. I have a fine chalk propelling pencil which I find is brilliant and a clover gadget for pressing seams but if I am in a hurry my thumb nail does just as well. Looking forward to seeing more projects from your drawers. xx

Patti said...

Don't let Debbie see it, she is such a purple person!!

Carla said...

I love it! Great job. Thanks for sharing

sheila 77 said...

The first photo of the purple quilt hit me right between the eyes, what a feast of purpleness for someone who loves purple (which includes me). I was going cross-eyed at your second photo where you have cut the strips (and the cutting accuracy required must be huge) and wondered where it was going and how, but it looks marvellously pieced in the fourth photo and I also have to say what a superb photo that is - it is from a great angle and shows off the quilt in all its purple glory.
I love seeing you sewing it and all the tricks and gadgets that I've never seen. The chalk liner looks very useful. How does the plastic steam roller work? How does it get its steam inside? People here need to know. The quilt is also huge in my book and is having a nice well-earned relaxation in the quiet of your verandah before it goes off in its travels and is admired all over again.

Renee said...

What an absolutely lovely prized possession that will definitely be an heirloom! Such a beautiful gesture on your part to make it special for her. It's gorgeous

quiltingbydawn said...

Annie, that purple quilt turned out so beautiful! Your daughter-in-law will love it! I like how the blocks “float”. I use my chalk liner all the time but I don’t have the plastic steam roller. I do have a wooden seam presser but mostly I use my iron to open seams.