Wednesday, April 14, 2021

ABC-123 Journal Page

This art journal page is “Inspired By” Spring and the neighborhood kids once again walking to and from school.


The page started out like this.  It was way too bold to work with.


I already decided to pull the page out and toss it.  So what the heck, let’s try some white acrylic paint to tone it down.  It’s always a good time to try something when the page is headed to the trash.


I decided I was back in business with this page!  Now I’ll see how some stamping will look.


Then I’ll see about some white heavy body acrylic paint tinted with a purple acrylic paint scraped over a stencil.



I didn’t get the next photo, but the textured stencil design was too light.  Since the page was again headed to the trash, I tried using a graphite pencil around the stenciled design then smeared with a water brush so that it would stand out better.


It kind of went into a muddy mess. I thought while it was still basically wet I would see if I could wipe off some of the graphite over the letters and numbers toning down the pencil effect.  It again seemed saved.


Another punched butterfly from a reject page got a body with a keyhole brad.  It’s so fun giving my butterfly’s odd bodies.


The die cut bird is also cut from the reject page.  The math strips are from a paper purchased through Etsy outlined with the graphite pencil then wet and slightly smeared with a water brush.  The paper looked to clean and new so I put a little paint on them.  That was worse so I tried sanding the paint down which happily grunged everything.  The numbers began to disappear so I just traced over them with a marker and sanded them a bit more.


It’s almost easier to make an art journal page when I’ve already decided to trash it!



I definitely learned a lot while making this page.
The whole process was one happy accident after another.  This page appeals to my love of grunge.

The “Inspired By” theme at Art Journal Journey runs throughout the month of April.
All mediums are welcome.  Come join in!

24 comments:

jenclair said...

You are having too much fun, Annie! Love the way this page evolved--happy accidents, indeed!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Love the page.....and glad you didn't send it to the trash. Such a happy accident!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

It's wonderfully stamped with the colors and numbers, words. So cute the butterfly and the bird, an imaginative journal page! I love your art!!!

My name is Erika. said...

You certainly did salvage this page Annie. Actually the pull didn't look bad, but sometimes too much blue is too much blue. I love the carabelle stamp you used, it created beautiful subject matter, and then all your additions only made it even better. This is a great page from your kids walking to school inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing with us at AJJ, and hope you're having a wonderful day. Hugs-Erika

Neet said...

What a delightful page and what an interesting journey it had from start to completion. I love how you highlighted the lettering and the script underneath is beautiful. If only i could write like that.
A lovely npage.
Hugs, Neet xx

Neet said...

Forgot to say (above) I do like the lady on your blog header. She makes me smile so much.
hugs, Neet xx

Mary C said...

I'm inspired by your undaunted creative spirit, will try to channel it during my quilt making!

quiltingbydawn said...

Your page turned out beautiful, Annie! I love that you are giving us your thoughts on your creative process. It is so inspiring to know that you can struggle yet come out with something so beautifully created! ❤️

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to laugh, Annie. Had it been me, I would have thrown it in my recycle basket. You truly turned lemons into lemonade, especially with the stamps you chose. I always enjoy following along with you on your journey to a perfect art journal page. Thanks for joining us again at Art Journal Journey with your incredible journal page. I'm always amazed at the things that inspire me, too.

Lin said...

Serendipity! Brilliant. xx

Renee said...

Love it! Genius

Ramona said...

Of course the first thing I had to do was check your math - ha ha ha!!!

R's Rue said...

Love it.

sheila 77 said...

First of all I enjoyed seeing the photographs with your (many) art materials - the actual acrylics, stamps, pencils etc. That really brings the finished piece into focus.
What trials and tribulations this poor page went through. Your paper must be very robust. That is an interesting water-colour set with just blues and greens. Acrylic paint tinted with a purple acrylic paint scraped over a stencil - what a great effect that gives - the letters on my screen really stand out as if they are cardboard cut-outs. You have so many intriguing supplies. I love the little bird learning his arithmetic - and yes, like Ramona, I automatically checked the maths. The beautifully little butterfly with his enhanced body is lovely too. And the background script makes a terrific surface over the toned-down original. It's a terrific page, Annie, and I enjoyed the journey.

pearshapedcrafting said...

You certainly made a good rescue - I truly love this page! Thanks so much for linking to Art Journal Journey! Hugs, Chrisx

Tera Callihan said...

Great page!!!♡♡♡

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

There's always a rescue somewhere never give up it's only a page, white gesso is my best buddy in my crafty space. Loving this page and another beautiful Butterfly wearing her fashionable clock hand. The sweet little bird sits so sweetly amongst it.
Creative wishes Tracey x

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a fantastic page, with so many interesting details, even if it did make you some problems! It has a lot of depth to it! Thanks so much for joining us q AJJ, much appreciated. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Did you see where I asked if I may place your blog on my left sidebar? It's how I keep track of artists I admire, since I don't use e-mail.

Annie said...

Elizabeth, yes, I did see your request and I replied that I’d be honored to be placed on your sidebar. As I again tried replying to this comment from my email, I noticed that you are a noreply blogger. I did not notice that previously when I replied. My apologies that it appeared that I was ignoring you. I would never!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thank you Annie. I'm off to add you to my sidebar now. Glad I checked back tonight.

Carol Swift said...

When I used to play with paper most of mine ended up in the trash with no way to save them. You have the magic touch and make it look so easy. Pretty page!

nwilliams6 said...

Love the texture, all the math elements, your saves and changes and lessons (thanks for sharing), and the muted grunge look. That "I am trashing this" decision frees us for sure. I love grunge too and this is some cheerful grunge. Wonderfully done, Annie. Hugz

Tammy said...

Gorgeous school themed page Annie, I love the textures, colors and how you toned down the page, what an awesome save because this is beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog... and yes, I print out the digital images on Neenah Classic Crest paper and color them with my alcohol-based markers :)
Tammy x