Friday, April 8, 2022

Dragons Wall Quilt

There is a lover of dragons in my family.
I took on this panel to alter.  I didn’t really like the border design.



It took me several months (almost a year) to come up with a plan for framing the dragons.  I didn’t want the overall size to grow any larger.  I began by chopping off the borders around the dragons.  I knew I wanted to use half square triangles (hst) so I made some.  I made them with Kona black.  I had a piece of white dot black with a hint of light black that I really wanted to use.  I needed to cut it sparingly in hopes of stretching it far enough for the plan.



Time to sew them in strips and see how they work and look.



I love how this panel and the hst fabrics just seem to glow.



My daughter commented that the backing looked like dragon scales.  I had to agree.  I hadn’t even thought about that when I purchased the fabric.



Here it is in all it’s glowing glory.



After fretting about this panel for so long I’m really happy with how it turned out.
It finished at 40.5”X35.5”

I was messing around with an idea for my over abundance of decorative threads one day and made this tag and attached it to the back of the quilt.  This idea needs some work.



March 2022 Calendar Journal



Spring weather is getting closer!  That makes me happy.

7 comments:

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

It turned out beautiful!

Ruth said...

Another fun panel quilt and the monthly calendar, a fun post to brighten my day.
I Like that you cut away the background fabric and added the pieced sashing. I had to enlarge the photo to see how you used the HST's. You don't give the size but they look small and very precise and perfectly proportioned .
The tag is a delightful, perfectly "Annie".

Vicki in MN said...

I like your addition of the flying geese!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! That's a pretty amazing transformation. Well done!

Snoodles said...

The creative gears are turning at your end of the interwebs!!! Love this!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm late visiting. I've been offline, but not by choice. Your dragon quilt turned out quite lovely. The way you finished it was perfect. I love the various colors you chose, too. I hope the recipient appreciated it and how long it took you to finish it.

As always, I love your beautiful handwriting and the great calendar. It sure puts mine to shame.

Tera Callihan said...

Your daughter's right, I totally see dragon scales, my brother would love this! Very cool, I also agree that original background it was on didn't match it at all. You made it really stand out and glow!