Friday, July 15, 2022

The Night Watchman

When I saw THIS POSTCARD by robertovnaelena (Instagram), I was immediately in love!
I wish she’d send it to me...(sigh)

I know that won’t happen, so I had to try making one myself.  Nowhere near as impressive, but he’s my version.  Not completely unfortunate, right?  I’ve had to call him a blackbird as he’s just not raven enough looking.  I used a bird Sizzix die to trace.  (I wish I could draw!)



I also wished I could figure out a couple of her techniques, but I didn’t really want to copy right down to every detail.....YES I DID!

He’s made from discarded jeans.  A couple of different denim shades.  The moon in this 2nd photo is closer to the actual fabric color.  It’s more a grayish white with silver metallic specks. I first stitched a spiral using silver metallic thread in the bobbin.  I used the wonder under paper that I peeled off the fabric moon to trace a spiral then stitched it from the backside of the postcard.  It needed more thread painting so I stitched between the spiral stitches with regular thread in a cream and then some outside stitches in the gold.

I think if I had stitched the raw edge of the bird a little farther in, I might have been able to ravel the denim edges a little more so they’d look more feathery.



Are you curious about how my postcards look on the Peltex side?


I normally sew a binding around the edges of my postcards.  That’s because I have felt it looks better than zig-zagging. But this artist’s satin stitching on her postcards looks so great, I decided to try that myself too.  Hoping my satin stitch would fill in as nicely as hers did and only going around the outside edges once, I was not disappointed.  My corners need a little work.  I’m okay with that.



Secret ingredient:  At times, satin stitching doesn’t always cover completely or a stitch length will show.  I go looking for a permanent marker the same color as my thread and I camouflage those tiny areas.

Because I am not mailing this postcard to anyone, I used miracle fabric on the correspondence side.  Very adaptable to rubberstamping and writing (if I were to mail it).  I also did not want to test the satin stitched edge with paper after all my work on the design.  But I will be testing it with paper soon!



I have a lot of discarded jeans left, so I’ll be thinking up more denim postcards.

Happy Mail Day!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I think copying someone's work we admire is a compliment to that person, provided we don't do it to make a profit. But copying it for oneself seems fine to me.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Annie, I was surprised I was able to view the postcard on Instagram, since it doesn't normally allow me to see anything there. After careful inspection, I believe the artist hand stitched all the orange work, with the possible exception of the satin stitch around the edges. It's a lovely piece of art, but so is yours. And it is definitely enough different that no one can say you copied.

I really LOVE what you created and I look forward to more denim inspired art in the near future. I am also in total awe of the circles you created on your machine that makes the moon pop.

BTW, when I went back to see the art on Instagram again, I wasn't allowed on. Go figure. However, as I recall (and I hope I am correct), the other artist didn't provide the kind of detail on the moon that you did. I LOVE what you did with the moon.



The Joyful Quilter said...

That is fabulous, Annie!! I actually like your version better than the original. The halo around the moon really makes the entire composition!!

Tera Callihan said...

Omg!!!!!!!! This one is definitely a favorite!!!! I love everything about it!!! So cool to see the under side too... if he needs a home you can send him my way!!!

Anonymous said...

Love YOUR bird and moon…. Awesome crafts work. Denim always catches my eye in sewing or quilts and you did a wonderful job on your creation!

Carol Swift said...

I love your raven (I have a thing for black birds.) The artists bird is incredible but totally out of my league for duplicating it. You're creations are out my league too!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

I love it Annie! The denim is great for a postcard too. I use lots of denim jeans for making purses I donate and now you have given me another idea for using denim scraps. And your zigzag edges look great!

Carla said...

Your Raven looks awesome and your satin stitch looks great. For my mailable postcards backs I use card stock. Now I haven't made any in over a year but you always inspire me. I guess I need to get busy. Thanks for sharing.

Vicki in MN said...

Oh I think this one is fabulous!! I love seeing all your creativeness 🙂

Turid said...

I love that little guy. Denim is so useful for many projects. And I find your new edges really nice.

craftytrog said...

I adore your blackbird Annie, he's gorgeous!