Sunday, September 18, 2022

The Queen of Gadgets Blog Hop

What is your favorite sewing gadget?
The Queen of Gadgets Blog Hop
The challenge:
Use your favorite sewing tool to create a project. 
Tell us and show us why you love it.

I not only ‘used’ all my gadgets, I chose to ‘sew’ my favorite, or more accurately, my most used gadgets, around the border of a sewing themed panel.

Pins
I created the paper pieced pattern for the pin then die cut the pin heads using a thinlet circle die.  They are raw edge appliqued to the tops of the pin metal.



Pincushion
Although I haven’t used an old fashioned tomato pin cushion for ages, I did have one way back in time.  I’ve added real pins to the finished wall quilt in all the pincushions.
This paper pieced pattern is by Full Bobbin Designs on Etsy



Can’t forget the little strawberry that is usually attached to the tomato pincushion.
This paper pieced pattern is by Center Street Quilts on Etsy.





This panel is of an old needle book design so I added a pair of old black handled scissors instead of a modern rotary cutter.  I do still use scissors.
This paper pieced pattern is by Full Bobbin Designs on Etsy.


A seam ripper might not be considered a favorite sewing gadget, but it’s a necessity when my machine sews something wrong.
This paper pieced pattern is by Full Bobbin Designs on Etsy.



I also added real pins to the printed tomato pincushion on the panel.



The completed wall quilt.
My grandmother actually had one of those cardboard pin blocks.
There were several pins still in it.



This is the fourth and final gifted panel I made into a wall quilt.
This panel was very fun to make a border for.  It wasn’t until I was ready to sew everything together that this panel made known how terribly out of whack it is!!!  The worse I have ever had.  So disappointing as this one was my favorite.  It measures approx. 29” X 49”. The top is 29”, the bottom is 29.5”. There was no way to even fudge squaring it up without cutting into the words or design.  The quilt is okay hanging on a plain wall.  But my wall where I wanted to hang it is bead board.  The stripes in the board make it look even more than 1/2” out of whack.
Such is the life of a fabric panel.

The panel is by J. Wecker Frisch, Joy Studio and Riley Blake Designs


42 comments:

Quilting Gail said...

What a cute idea! I love that you added various gadgets to your panel! well done! Thank you for sharing!

Lianne makes stuff said...

That is very clever well done

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

That's a great gadget to highlight! I just love the little strawberry pincushion, it's so cute! xx

Pamela Arbour said...

It looks like this hop was the perfect fit for your panel. You did a great job and that half inch isn't noticeable to anyone but you. I think you did well to camafouoge it with your straight stitching. I really can't see the discrepancy at all I'm just taking your word for it. Well done!

Carla said...

Such a gorgeous project and you really outdid yourself with the beautiful paper piecing. It is so disappointing when those panels are so out of whack. No one would know with your fun border, though. Great inspiration for sure!

Charlotte M. said...

It looks pretty straight on here. What a cute quilt and a wonderful job with all the border gadgets.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

You make the BEST panel quilts, Annie! I am sure the panel was off, but you certainly cannot tell by looking at the finished quilt. Love what you added to the panel.

Vicki in MN said...

That is so stinkin' cute Annie, love how you were able to create the border with patterns from different designers. I am sorry your panel was all wonky. When I have a panel like that I spritz it with water and give it some pulls on the bias and then press it into submission. It make take several tries depending on how wonky it is.

Calicojoan said...

I am in "LOVE"! This is just adorable. I love the panel, but all your border additions make it come to life. Personally, I think we all need this in our sewing rooms. LOL! You did a remarkable job of hiding the panel size issue. Too bad we have to jump through those hoops some times, but you mastered it. Well done Anne!

Carol said...

Wow, all the paper pieced gadgets are awesome! I really like the way the border looks on the panel. It's too bad it is not square, but you are right: it does look fine on that plain wall. Thanks for sharing your lovely work.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

What a clever idea! Your pin block is wonderful.

Sharon said...

Very nice! Your gadgets in the borders make the quilt special.

Carol Swift said...

This is like seeing a giant postcard made by you...I love it! Your gadget quilt is amazing! What a great way to make a border around a panel with all those pins. Yes, those panels drive me crazy when they are wonky like that, and most of them are wonky. Thank you for sharing your gadget with us.

piecefulwendy said...

I've never seen a panel like that; it is really fun!

Lori Smanski said...

Oh but this is just wonderful. Out of Wack? No, sewing is not a perfect medium. And I personally love that it is not all perfect. It makes it all that much more special. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

sue s said...

Just found your blog on this hop and I love your panel! I have a different sewing panel from the same group that came with little button gadgets to attach. But now I'm inspired to fill the pin cushion too, and maybe add some real needles! This panel was very wonky too so I played with the border width to try and balance. Some success but I know it's not right!

Ramona said...

You are great at finding those antique face designs. Love this and how you actually overlapped the fabric to look like those pins are stuck into the fabric. Great job and very clever!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great project, with all the gadgets attached! Thanks so much for sharing!

tink's mom said...

your imagination never ceases to amaze me. I love the gadgets in your border. They are perfect with this panel.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

This is so very cute! I love you represented your gadgets with different blocks! Great project!

Leah said...

What a fun way to show off your gadgets! Your wall hanging turned out fantastic!

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

I love your wall hanging!

lynn said...

Really I wouldn't stress over the size issue. The wallhanging is so cute who would care, and most of us wouldn't notice. It's great
1

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

What a fun panel and I love the gadget border!!

Anonymous said...

It turned out really cute too bad it's crooked

Charlene McCain said...

What a creative quilt! Your paper piecing is spot on! So sorry it is a bit off on your measurements, but I don't notice anything wrong. It looks super to me!

Inflorescencedesigns said...

What an amazing quilt! The pins on the border are my favorite part of this quilt.

Janarama said...

What a clever way to add a border to a panel. From your picture it's not noticeable at all that the panel is out of whack. A fabulous finish!

CyndyL said...

Love your panel and the border is wonderful. Maybe if you sewed your hanging sleeve at a slight angle, when you hung the quilt it might look straight on your wall. It is not visible in your pictures.

Corrie said...

Wow, those are great pieced additions!

Lin said...

Lovely use of the panel and your additions are fun and clever. Nice work! xx

Ramona said...

I love the border you gave to this panel. It's such an adorable wall hanging. It's so aggravating when the panels are so wonky, but without anything to show the unevenness, it looks perfect!

For the love of geese said...

adorable

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

fabulous idea!

LJ said...

What an absolutely wonderful border!! I can't tell you how much I love it. Pins are the best of gadgets and something we don't usually think about. I think J. Wecker Frisch has the best designs. The heck with bead board...hang it anyway!

time4stitchn said...


What a wonderful little sewing quilt! All the amazing paper pieced tools are perfect around the border. I really just love it!

Vivian said...

What a great panel! No one will notice if it's a skootch uneven. Love that you put real pins in the pincushions on it! It just occurred to me: why DO Tomato pincushions have Strawberry attachments? Are they related plants? The things you wonder about when you sew....

carol said...

Love pins and pin cushions.

Danice G said...

The old style tomato pin cushion is a staple for sure. Wonder why a tomato though?

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love your wall hanging, all the paper pieced sewing objects. Sucks that the panel was that far off.

craftytrog said...

Oh my goodness Annie, your wall art is absolutely gorgeous! I love it!

Createology said...

Annie Dear you are SEW very clever. This panel turned out fabulous. Thank you for hopping.