Wednesday, October 28, 2020

The Olde Crow Inn

I came across a vintage Bed and Breakfast sign.  It was done in cross stitch.  That is what made me want to do cross stitch again after many, many years of my tools and supplies in a storage trunk.  I raced over to the website and bought the chart.

Chart: Kanikis


I could hardly wait to finish the unfinished piece  I had on the frame so that I could get started on this new piece.  I’m always attracted to vintage advertising and crows.  



This is stitched on 32 count evenweave linen.  A single thread over 2 threads.  Except for Baths and Meals is only over 1 thread.  That part was very hard to see with these old eyes, glasses and magnifiers attached to my glasses.  I hated stitching those but I love how they look with the standard stitching.

Not many thread changes in this chart.  Just enough for a vintage look.



When the stitching was finished, I sewed a frame around it.  I got one of those standing mini quilt frames to display it.



I like that I’ll be able to do more seasonal stitching and change the display as I desire.  



My crows are beginning to gather a murder.
Can you hear them chattering?

11 comments:

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

I love the old look of the cross stitch sign. We have ravens here. Other places where I lived we had crows. Ravens are larger, but they also aren't as vocal as crows. Crows would caw, caw all the time, ravens only caw once here and there and don't gather in large groups like crows do. Funny how crows are called a murder and ravens are called an unkindness. Poor birds have been given a bad rap.

jenclair said...

How perfectly the little crow looks in front of the framed piece! I love the way the cross stitching on his really approximates a vintage sign. Well done, You!

Ruth said...

I love Your cross stich sign and the way you have it displayed with the little crow in front of it. Before I started quilting I made some cross stitch pieces. I used to like the Prairie school patterns because the didn't have half or quarter stitches and were done on a larger canvas. I was beginning to develop a cataract and I had a magnifying glass that hung around my neck and rested on my chest at an angle.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely needlework! The piece has so much vintage charm, I see why you chose it.

quiltingbydawn said...

What a lovely piece of cross stitch! I love the vintage look and your crows! There is something about those black birds that are attractive! I did a vintage looking needle punch with a crow years ago that still sits on my buffet.

Barb said...

That is so adorable, and I love how you have it displayed.

Snoodles said...

Fabulous! I love how you turned it into a piece that you can display on that stand. I have one of those and I love to make things to go on it!

sheila 77 said...

This is marvellous with these colours and such fine stitching. 32 is the finest cross stitch I've done, many moons ago. I really love the set of embroidery threads in these subtle colours and I’m glad you included them here.
The way you have framed it is the best ever frame for it and it all goes together perfectly, including your own personal pet crow who is ecstatic at being included.

Carla said...

Love it! I started a cross stitch piece 32 years ago and haven't finished it. For now I'll stick to quilting. lol

Carol Swift said...

This is awesome! I love the vintage look and the crows, of course. Great job, Annie!

Tera Callihan said...

🤣 I love your Gathering the murder of crows. This is cute and that little guy you have sitting in front of it is absolutely adorable