Friday, November 30, 2018

Christmas Table Mat

My table needed a bit of Christmas cheer.

So I decided to make my Christmas Tree pattern into a table mat as a smaller version and complete circle.


As I suspected it would, it worked perfectly.  I followed my own tutorial:  https://freezeframe03.blogspot.com/2011/12/tutorial-christmas-tree-skirt.html
With only minimal changes as I show in this post.
I did not purchase any fabric, I pulled out my Christmas fabric stash for this table mat.


Instead of using 5” Charm packs, I cut 4” squares from my stash.
Instead of stacking 5 charm squares, I stacked only 4 squares.


Instead of aligning the wedge ruler at its 24” measurement, I aligned it at 16-3/4”. Instead of aligning right at the lower right hand corner of the strip, I moved it over by 1/4”.  Had I not moved it over, the two strips would have been too much the same width.  As with my tree skirt, I wanted alternating wide and narrow strips.


As with the tree skirt, I discarded the strip on the right and used the center and left cuts.


The rest of the circle construction follows the tree skirt tutorial.


Of course I didn’t want a hole in the center of my table mat so I had to fill that in.  I have these handy dandy circle cutting rulers.  They work like magic for cutting a perfect circle.



I sewed a long stitch around the circle then pulled the threads for a slight gather to make it easy to turn under the edge.


I pressed the edge under.


Lay out the mat so the center opening is as round as you can make it.

I then pinned the heck out of it so that the mat opening would not shift while I just top stitched the circle in place.


That worked well enough.


Since I won’t see this slightly imperfect opening once it’s quilted, I have completely forgotten it isn’t perfect.  It is not at all noticeable.  You know I’m loving that!


I have a layer of Warm & Natural batting and a backing.  I just quilted in the ditch.  (My tree skirt does not have batting as I wanted it to be very drape-able).


I sure wondered why I had so much of this fabric, but some has been put to good use here and the Christmas fabric drawer does not bulge any more.  (Room for some new pieces, right?!)


The binding is, as always for me, cut on the straight grain.  I avoid bias bindings at all cost.  LOL

I LOVE this table mat.  It measures 33.5” diameter.


There were squares leftover (because I just cut a strip then cut the strip into squares).  Too lazy to figure out exactly how many squares I needed.  So this second table mat or runner was made with the scraps.


The back looks kind of pretty too.  Bonus!


It sits so nicely on my little bench by the door.  I think it just needs a few little wrapped gifts added to it.



I love that I bought NOTHING to make these.

Merry Christmas to all my bloggy friends!

14 comments:

Lesley said...

Fantastic projects! Love seeing these Christmas treasures. Both are so perfect for their table/bench. Well done!

Ruth said...

I love both of your Christmas projects I can't decide which one I like better. I really like the striped binding, it is so "Annie".
I also love my tree skirt that I made using your tutorial. In fact I made 3 one was for me one for my daughter and one for my granddaughter and they love them too.Thank you for sharing your designs.

Lin said...

Two beautiful mats Annie - think I might need a similar runner. Just got out my Christmas postcards and there was yours! Still as lovely as ever, thank you. xx

jenclair said...

Both are beautiful! You've certainly been sewing up a storm lately and what a stash of Christmas fabrics you have.

Kathy E. said...

This is so gorgeous! I love modern, fresh designs like this that can use up so many treasured small fabric pieces! Your backing fabric looks a lot like an old, stained table cloth I have from my mom. I think that table cloth would make a great backing and she would be so happy that I've used it. Thanks for this great tutorial!

sheila 77 said...

When I saw the first photo I couldn't imagine how you could make this lovely circle mat. I come from the Middle Ages school of patchwork and have never come across these magical rulers. But you still have to do all these accurate cuttings and piecings, and making the circle to fit in perfectly, I'll bet that took a bit of work to get it right, even with the magic circle ruler. Turning round the edges of the circle! - I've tried that and it's a (huge) bit of a faff. I wonder why you don't use bias binding and how you manage to get not-bias binding round the circle without an unwanted pleat? Sounds pretty clever to me. I also really like the bench mat with the squares and striped edging and I like the other side too with the strip down the middle.
Great process post, Annie, and if I ever want to make a circular patchwork anything then this blogpost will be my first port of call.

Tera Callihan said...

These are amazing. I'm glad you showed how you made the round table mat, because looking at it, it looks insanely complicated with a million cuts! I never would have guessed! Also, I love that bench cover (which could totally double as a table runner too!) Even better that it was al in your stash already!

West Michigan Quilter said...

My word, you are certainly getting a lot done lately. I love your round table topper. Looks like a lot of work. I like the bench warmer too. Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you use your scraps and make something beautiful. I always consider it's FREE. Great job.

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

lovely circle mat....
have a great day

Barb said...

LOOOOVVVE IT!!! love the ruler too, it is such fun....love the topper for sure and the cute runner.

Dortesjs said...

lovely circle mat, you are so creative and very clever

Barbara W. said...

Love the table mat! I was looking for something to make a tree skirt for I wedding present. I think I found it. I don't know why I don't get your blog I signed up twice. HMMMM! Really Patti A. Debbie's friend.

Karen Dunbrook said...

love, love these. I have a small collection of quilts that I love so these speak to me!!
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.
A big thanks to you for all the times you came to visit my blog and left me such kind comments...very appreciated!!
xx Karen

Goth Apparels said...

I like this blog. Thank you for sharing this information.